How I've improved in 8 months



Hello! I feel I have been years since I wrote a new entry on the Blog, but since we have spent the holidays back to work and make our own, hehe. How have you spent in the new year? I hope this year 2013 are the best for you and all your wishes and expectations come true. Well, because we made a small wave can get into the issue, the issue today is not a tutorial, nor any classification of characters or drawing lessons, today I come to tell you about a personal experience in the field of drawing.

"Carlos, how ~ # @ # & * you did to improve so fast in 8 months? I've been drawing since two years ago and I do not see any improvement."

This question came from more than one person personally when I uploaded the image you see above to my Deviantart, my response was simply: "I do not know, maybe I was doing what I liked to do." But beyond that simple and easy answer, the question of "why some have such a drastic change in his drawings in such a short time and others not?" And the research I could find a better answer to the question that I have made some close friends. I will tell you:

I've always wanted to do a manga, but I was not drawing very well, in fact one of the things I did is what many who want to learn how to draw manga do, I sat at the computer, open the browser, and type "course to learn how to draw manga on-line", at first I will not deny, I kept drawing Naruto, Ichigo from Bleach or some characters from my favourite series, I enjoyed it very much, and I will not deny that I was feeling like "Damn, I'm a @#~^* god". Gradually I realized that this was not going to lead me anywhere and that if I wanted to draw my own manga I should make my own characters, and in fact I set the task to do, holy @#$~* that were horrible, I look and gives me a bit of nostalgia but also some laughter, I will not deny it, but I had the motivation to someday make my own history and I did not give up, so I thought and thought through my inspiration and things I could create from my mind after taking some spare time.

When it came time to do my first story I self demanded enough, but at the end I did not like what I wrote and it was archived as a reference, however this was not the first "slip" I had, I filed approximately four stories and more than 20 characters next to them, for some it is a very small number, but for me it is something that fills me with pride. But there is something that I always key feature quite the time to talk about "how to improve" or "create a unique style" ... those are the references.




Do you have an account on Deviantart? Well, actually there are many similar sites, I have a Deviantart account because I think it is a very complete Web with a large audience and also has so many artists that have helped me in different ways to become better each day. The importance of joining a social network is that you have the capability of upload your pictures, perhaps receive criticism, get some motivation behind a simple "Like" or "Favourite", also make references to artists you admire, meet new artists and techniques that can surely improve the one you're currently using, find another good tutorial and especially to define your style through everything you've seen.

When I took some references I found on Deviantart artists gradually felt the confidence to come up with something more, so I took a pencil and began to create, when I had realized I had my first "20 Watchers" in Deviantart then 100 and so on, regardless what to draw, I always tried to do better than before I did wrong line in a drawing, now was a perfect line, but can not draw scenarios were drawn today, could not draw women, also I can do, I have even learned a thing or two about colour, but none of these things are the work of one or two nights, it's hard work and perseverance, everything is learned in time, the style of each artist develops knowledge process itself, not knowing the other process.

When I made up my mind that I must enhance my own process, my own methods, that's when everything became easier and stronger, I held a more obsessive drawing, then I could say "This is what I always do" From there it was just self growth that took me some way to where I am now standing. Everyone has a different process, many take longer than others to adjust to his style, others take less time, and not bad either case, we are all different people and have different objectives, it is more than normal for these things to happen, especially on something as subjective as it is art.

"Patience, patience, patience ... know yourself, study your processes, close the book for a second and try to accomplish things through your own understanding, is my advice."

I hope you have enjoyed this post, I also like to know your experiences on this topic, do you have any skill to improve your next picture? Guides you any special technique? Any artists to share? Come on, do not be shy! With that I say goodbye, but not before to tell you I've been very active on my Facebook page, or Twitter, so I recommend you stop by there as I will also be sharing interesting things I usually find on the network, Greetings! Happy new year!

This entry was posted on 03 January 2013 and is filed under ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

Leave a Reply